- Trademarks and Copyrights
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Pharmaceutical and Chemical Technologies
- Mechanical Technologies
- Intellectual Property Transactions
- Post Grant Proceedings in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
University of Houston, J.D., 1987
Michigan State University, B.S. in Chemical Engineering, 1983
Illinois Institute of Technology, Graduate Coursework in Biotechnology
Christopher T. Griffith
Active in all phases of domestic and international intellectual property practice, Mr. Griffith has emphasized the litigation of pharmaceutical, chemical and mechanical patents, and possesses decades of specialized experience in consultation and litigation under the Hatch-Waxman Act. This experience includes numerous matters in the U.S. District Courts, and appeals before the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, representing both patentees and those accused of infringement. He has appeared as lead counsel, formulated litigation strategy, and directed the activities of the litigation team on a day-to-day basis on these matters.
Mr. Griffith has partnered with clients, providing strategic guidance on the development of intellectual property strategies and portfolio management, with an emphasis in the life sciences, including pharmaceuticals and biologics. This has involved counseling clients and providing opinions on the issues of validity, infringement, inventorship, patentability and enforceability, as well as on a variety of trademark issues. In addition, he prepares freedom-to-operate opinions, drafts, analyzes and negotiates licensing agreements, and conducts due diligence investigations. He also continues to draft and prosecute patent, trademark and copyright applications on a regular basis, and possesses experience in patent appeals, reexaminations, reissue, interference proceedings and post-grant proceedings under the AIA.
The principal technologies in which he has been involved include pharmaceuticals, biologics, small molecules, polymers, coatings, separations including filtration, and a variety of other chemical and biological processes and mechanical engineering subject matter.
Mr. Griffith lectures frequently on various aspects of patent law, and is an Adjunct Professor at the John Marshall Law School, where he developed and taught a Masters level course in U.S. patent law for many years.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
Articles and Publications
- Quoted in "China pumps out patents for new inventions," China Daily USA, December 9, 2014
- "Inter Partes Review: Pre-Institution Phase Critical to Success," Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, November 4, 2014
- Selected by peers as a Leading Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law – Leading Lawyers Network
- Listed among the Top Lawyers in Illinois in Intellectual Property Law – Chicago Lawyer
- Abraxis BioScience, Inc.
- AGFA-Gevaert N.V.
- Akorn, Inc.
- Alberto-Culver, Inc.
- Cargill, Inc.
- Cipla Ltd.
- Corning, Inc.
- DSM N.V.
- Jubilant Organosys
- Lupin Ltd.
- Mylan Pharmaceuticals
- Natco Pharmaceuticals
- National Institutes of Health (US)
- Osmotica Pharmaceuticals
- Pall Corporation
- Strides Arcolab
Representative Litigation/Interference/Opposition Experience
- Merek v. Cipla Ltd. (efavirenz - SUSTIVA®)
- Pfizer v. Lupin Ltd. (desvenlafaxine succinate - PRISTIQ®)
- Shire v. Osmotica Pharmaceuticals (mesalamine – LIALDA®)
- Bayer Pharma v. Lupin Ltd. (dienogest; estradiol valerate - NATAZIA®)
- Janssen Pharmaceuticals v. Lupin Ltd. (ethinyl estradiol; norgestimate – ORTHO TRICYCLEN LO®)
- AstraZeneca v. Lupin Ltd. (esomeprazole magnesium; naproxen - VIMOVO®)
- Warner Chilcott v. Lupin Ltd. (ethinyl estradiol; norethindrone - GENERESS®)
- Warner Chilcott v. Lupin Ltd. (ethinyl estradiol; norethindrone – LO LOESTRIN®)
- Pfizer v. Osmotica Pharmaceuticals (tolterodine - DETROL LA®)
- Apotex Inc. v. Lupin Ltd. (quinapril)
- Medicis v. Lupin Ltd. (minocycline - SOLODYN®)
- Pfizer v. Lupin Ltd. (pregabalin - LYRICA®)
- Purdue Pharma v. Sandoz (oxycodone – OXYCONTIN®)
- Gilead v. Sigmapharm (adefovir dipivoxil - HEPSERA®)
- AstraZeneca v. Osmotica (quetiapine XR - SEROQUEL XR®)
- Abbott v. Lupin Ltd. (choline fenofibrate - TRILIPIX®)
- Lupin Ltd. v. Paddock Laboratories (fenofibrate - ANTARA®)
- In re Fenofibrate Litigation (fenofibrate - ANTARA®)
- Bayer v. Lupin Ltd. (YAZ®)
- Bayer v. Lupin Ltd. (YASMIN®)
- Shire v. Natco Pharmaceuticals (lanthanum carbonate - FOSRENOL®)
- Wyeth v. Lupin Ltd. (venlafaxine XR – EFFEXOR XR®)
- Ortho-McNeil v. Lupin Ltd. (levofloxacin - LEVAQUIN®)
- AstraZeneca v. Mutual Pharmaceuticals (felodipine - PLENDIL®)
- Pall Corp. v. PTI Technologies (filtration technology)
- Weatherchem Corp. v. J.L. Clark, Inc. (sealing technology)
- Abbott Labs. v. Novopharm (terazosin - HYTRIN®)
- Fujisawa v. Memorial Sloan-Kettering (aerosolized pentamidine - NEBUPENT®)
- Lemelson Foundation v. Cargill, Inc. et al.
- Henderson Mfg. Co. v. Highway Equipment Co. (custom truck equipment)
- Elkay Manufacturing Co. v. Ebco Manufacturing Co. (water coolers)
- KV Pharmaceuticals v. Integrity Pharmaceuticals (nutritional supplements)
- Janssen Pharmaceutica v. Mylan Pharmaceuticals and Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories (risperidone - RISPERDAL®)
- Sessions (Ferris) Pharmaceuticals v. Biopol (Korean Patent Office proceedings) (wound care)
- Deublin Company (EP Oppositions)
Speaking Engagements and Presentations
- "Selected U.S. Patent Law Topics Relevant to Pharmaceutical and Biotech Practice (Patentability, Validity and Infringement)," Advanced Training Seminars for the All-China Patent Agents Association (Chicago, Illinois) July and November 2013
- "Current Issues and Strategies in U.S. Patent Prosecution," Advanced Training Seminar for Patent Reexaminers of the People’s Republic of China (SIPO) (Chicago, Illinois) June and October 2013
- "Selected U.S. Patent Law Topics Relevant to Pharmaceutical and Biotech Practice (Patentability, Validity and Infringement)," Advanced Training Seminars for the All-China Patent Agents Association and State Intellectual Property Organization (SIPO) (Chicago, Illinois) May, September and October, 2012
- "Patent Litigation Issues in the Context of Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Patents," Advanced Training Seminar for the All-China Patent Agents Association (Chicago, Illinois) June and September 2011
- "Current Issues and Strategies in U.S. Patent Prosecution," Advanced Training Seminar for Patent Reexaminers of the People’s Republic of China (SIPO) (Chicago, Illinois), April, July and October 2010; April and October 2009; April and October 2008
- "Recent Developments in U.S. Patent Law Affecting the Pharmaceutical Industry," Global Generic Pharmaceutical Conference 2007 (Mumbai, India), February 2007
- "Patent Considerations in the Pharmaceutical Industry," 58th Indian Pharmaceutical Congress (Mumbai, India), December 2006
- "Current Issues and Strategies in U.S. Patent Prosecution," Advanced Training Seminar for Patent Reexaminers of the People’s Republic of China (SIPO) (Chicago, Illinois), October 2006
- "Patent Barriers to Generic Pharmaceutical Entry," AIPLA Road Shows (Boston, Houston, San Jose), June 2006
- "The Changing Landscape of U.S. Patent Law," Global Generic Pharmaceutical Conference 2006 (Mumbai, India), March 2006
- "Patent Issues and Trends In Cosmetic Formulations," Society of Cosmetic Chemists (Chicago), October 2005
- "Due Diligence in IP Business Transactions," Practicing Law Institute (Chicago), March 2003 & 2004
- "Senate Passes Bill Revising Hatch-Waxman Framework for Generic Drug Approval," Regulatory Affairs FOCUS (Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society), September, 2002
- "Presentation on Process Patents," National Association of Pharmaceutical and Manufacturers (NAPM) Bulk Drug Workshop (New York City), March 2001
- "Presentation on Process Patents and Related Issues," National Association of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers (NAPM) Annual Meeting (San Juan, Puerto Rico), January 2000
- Presentations on patent law (patentability/freedom-to-operate/opinions) to client R&D teams
Bar Admissions and Registrations
- District of Columbia, 1989
- Illinois, 1988
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Member, Trial Bar)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington